A new report has been prepared for the New Zealand Ministry of Primary Industries and the New Zealand Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Research Centre. This report is a detailed review of the evidence for the potential role of biochar to reduce net GHG emissions from New Zealand agriculture.
Key topics included in the review are:
- Feedstock guidelines
- Influence of manufacture and distribution on biochar GHG emissions budgets
- Biochar characteristics, certification, and use
- A life cycle assessment of biochar case studies appropriate to New Zealand
- Economic feasibility of biochar case study examples
- Methodologies for accounting for biochar carbon in National GHG inventories